If you’re ready to say goodbye to the old boring post-game parties for some great barbequing, then you need to get yourself one of those portable gas grills. We’re not talking about just any grill; we are talking about the ones that let you set up and are ready to get down to cooking in a fly and are packed with enough power to serve all your friends. In the following guide, we take you along as we break down 10 such grills and tell you why we think one of them ought to be at your next tailgate. Read on to find out more!
Portable Gas Grill FAQ
What Is a Portable Gas Grill?
A portable gas grill uses propane gas as the heat source for outdoor cooking.
What Does a Portable Gas Grill Do?
A portable gas grill is designed for cooking, roasting, grilling, and smoking foods in the outdoors.
How Does a Portable Gas Grill Work?
A portable gas grill uses propane gas as the heat source for cooking. They may feature up to three burners, depending on the model. They can generally be folded up into a compact size for easy transport and storage.
Where Can You Buy a Portable Gas Grill?
You can buy a portable gas grill at your local home improvement store or online at Amazon.com.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on the following parameters: Features, Pros & Cons, Price, Where to Buy, and Warranty. We were mainly concerned with the grills’ functionality, BTU, cooking surface size, ease of assembly, ease of use, ability to maintain heat, and durability.
Overall Price Range of This Product (and Similar Products)
Portable gas grills range in price from around $$ to $$$$. The higher-priced grills feature a larger cooking area, has more BTU per hour, come equipped with secondary cooking surfaces and warmers, and/or feature smoking and roasting functionalities.
What We Reviewed
Weber Spirit E310
- Your purchase includes One Weber Spirit E-310 Liquid Propane Gas Grill in Black color,...
- Grill dimensions: Lid Open - 63"H x 52"W x 32"D. Lid Closed - 45.5"H x 52"W x 24"D....
- Propane gas grill works with Standard 20 lb LP tank (sold separately).
- Other specifications: BTU-Per-Hour Input – 32,000. Stainless Steel Burners – 3. Side...
- Built to last with heavy duty, porcelain-enameled lid and cook box that will not rust or...
Weber Spirit E310 features three stainless steel burners capable of delivering 32,000 BTU per hour. This portable gas grill is ideal for hosting tailgate parties as it boasts a cooking area of 424 square inches as well as a warming area of 105 square inches. What’s more, this grill comes equipped with a porcelain-enameled, cast iron cooking grates, and porcelain-enameled Flavorizer bars that promote even distribution of heat and are easy to clean. In addition, the built-in electronic Cross ignition system means starting the grill is just one simple push of a button.
Weber Spirit E310 is backed with a limited warranty.
Weber 54060001 Q2200 Liquid Propane Grill
- Total cooking area = 280 Square Inches
- Stainless steel burner puts out 12,000 BTU-per-hour
- Porcelain-enameled, cast iron cooking grates
- Electronic ignition with built in thermometer
- Two folding work tables
The Weber 54060001 Q2200 Liquid Propane Grill features one stainless steel burner that is capable of delivering a whopping 12,000 BTU of heat per hour in 280 square inches of total cooking area. Similar to other Weber portable gas grills, this grill features porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates that make cleaning easy and hassle-free. Meanwhile, the cast aluminum lid and body ensure lasting durability you can depend on. Featuring an easy-start ignition control, this grill can be started with just a push of a button. Finally, the built-in infinite control burner valve settings allow you to choose any temperature to suit your cooking needs.
The Weber 54060001 Q2200 Liquid Propane Grill is backed with a limited warranty.
Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven
- Matchless Ignition - use 1lb propane tank - can be adapted to use 20lb tank
- Stainless steel construction - 7,500 BTU's per burner, Oven 3,000 BTU's
- Nonstick enamel cooking surface - Top oven heat: 400 degrees
- Oven thermometer and two oven racks
- Inside Oven dimensions W 16" x H 8.5" x L 10 - weight 35 lbs
The Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven features two matchless igniter range burners that can deliver 7,500 BTU and an oven that can heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit with 3,000 BTU. This portable gas grill is ideal for large tailgate parties as it can cook up to 5 hours on high heat with only a one-pound can of propane.
In addition, this grill comes equipped with two oven racks for added convenience and a built-in thermometer to help you monitor the cooking process. Also, this grill features fully adjustable, heat-control dials for customizable temperature settings. Meanwhile, the non-stick enamel cooling surface makes this grill easy to clean. Finally, the stainless steel construction and carry handles make this grill both durable and easily transportable.
The Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven is backed with a 1-year limited warranty.
Cuisinart CGG-200 All-Foods 12,000-BTU Tabletop Gas Grill
- Modular grill-surface system. The panels securely connect to the grill, yet remove quickly...
- 12,000-BTU tabletop gas grill with stainless-steel burner
- Twist-start ignition for easy start-ups; porcelain enamel-coated cast-iron cooking grate
- Folding side shelves; temperature gauge; propane tank not included
- Measures approximately 19-4/5 by 27-4/5 by 12-4/5 inches
The Cuisinart CGG-200 All-Foods 12,000-BTU Tabletop Gas Grill features a modular grill-surface system that allows the panels to be easily removed for cleaning and storage. This highly portable gas grill comes equipped with a 12,000-BTU stainless steel burner for handling all your cooking needs. The twist-start ignition system makes operation simple and easy, while the porcelain enamel-coated cast-iron cooking grate distributes heat evenly and cleans without a hiccup. What’s more, this grill also features folding side shelves for added convenience. A built-in temperature gauge is also included for easy monitoring of the cooking process.
The Cuisinart CGG-200 All-Foods 12,000-BTU Tabletop Gas Grill is backed with a limited warranty.
- One stainless steel burner produces 8500 BTU-per-hour to heat 189 square-inch total...
- Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates and cast aluminum lid and body
- Fully assembled out of box. Lid closed and tables out (inches):15.5H x 40.9W x 16.5D
- Easy-start electronic ignition and infinite control burner valve settings
- Uses disposable 14.1 or 16.4 oz. LP cylinder (sold separately).Fuel type: Liquid Propane...
The Weber Q1200 portable gas grill features one stainless steel burner that is capable of delivering 8,500 BTU per hour for a total cooking area of 189 square inches. This grill also features porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates that offer stable and even heat distribution and are easy to clean. In addition, the aluminum lid and body ensure lasting durability, while the easy-start electronic ignition system lets you heat up your grill with just one push of a button. What’s more, this grill also comes equipped with infinite control burner valve settings for customizable heat for any cooking tasks.
The Weber Q1200 is backed with a limited warranty.
Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill
- Portable propane grill ideal for tailgating, picnicking, and camping
- Delivers 20,000 BTUs of heat across 285 square inches of grilling surface
- Swaptop interchangeable cooktops allow you to switch grill grates out for griddle and...
- Instastart button ignites grill without the need for a match or lighter
- Collapsible design is easy to transport and fits into most car trunks
The Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill is the ideal grill for tailgating as it delivers 20,000 BTU of heat per hour across 285 square inches of cooking space. This high-performance portable gas grill features a Swaptop interchangeable cooktop that lets you switch out grill grates with a griddle and stove grates for added versatility.
What’s more, the Instastart button lets you heat up the grill with just a push of a button without the need for matches or a lighter. In addition, this grill comes equipped with two burners that can be individually adjusted for suit your cooking needs. Meanwhile, the collapsible design, featuring a large handle and wheels, makes this grill easy to transport and store. Finally, this grill delivers hassle-free cleanups, thanks to its cast-iron and porcelain-coated cooking surfaces and a removable grease tray.
The Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill is backed with a limited warranty.
- 360 square inches of cooking space over porcelain-coated grates
- 170 square inch porcelain-coated swing-a-way rack for warming
- 8,000 btu side burner provides a secondary cooking space for sides or sauces
- Three stainless steel in-line burners for cooking performance
- Porcelain-coated steel lid and firebox stand up to weather and the elements
The Char-Broil Quickset features a three-burner setup that delivers 36,000 BTU per hour along with a lidded side burner that delivers 12,000 BTU per hour. This portable gas grill also features 370 squares inches of total cooking space and come equipped with porcelain-coated wired grates that clean easily and heats evenly. What’s more, with the side burner, this grill offers an additional 175 square inches of secondary cooking space on porcelain-coated swing away to suit all your cooking needs. In addition, this grill features large, painted metal side shelves for added storage and convenience. Finally, the porcelain-coated steel lid and firebox offer lasting durability and protection.
The Char-Broil Quickset is backed with a limited warranty.
Smoke Hollow 205 Stainless Steel TableTop Propane Gas Grill
- 205 sq. in. primary stainless steel cooking area 105 sq. in. chrome-plated warming rack
- 10,000 BTU stainless steel "U" burner
- Fold-able stainless steel legs; Uses 16oz. disposable cylinder
- Stainless steel drip tray; Temperature gauge
- Assembled Size: 19 L x 32 W x 33.5 H inches
The Smoke Hollow 205 Stainless Steel TableTop Propane Gas Grill features 305 square inches of total cooking surface and delivers 10,000 BTU per hour. What’s more, this grill comes equipped with foldable stainless steel legs for easy transport and storage. Meanwhile, the built-in temperature gauge on the lid lets you easily monitor the cooking process. Featuring a compact design, this grill is perfect for tailgating at the game or in your own backyard.
Camco Olympian 5500
No products found.
The Camco Olympian 5500 features 180 square inches of total cooking space and delivers 12,000 BTU per hour. This portable gas grill can be easily connected to RV’s low-pressure system and the RV’s own propane supply. It also features a cast iron smoker plate designed to deliver the fullest flavor possible while reducing the risk of grease fires. Meanwhile, the stainless steel burners are easy to clean and heat up quickly. Finally, this grill’s overall stainless steel construction ensures lasting durability.
The Camco Olympian 5500 is backed with a 1-year limited parts warranty and a 30-day labor warranty.
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks
- 15,400 BTU stainless steel burner
- Push-button ignition lights burner quickly and easily
- Legs add height for easy access
- Adjustable air damper for moisture and smoke control
The Masterbuilt Black features four interior smoking racks and a black powder-coated outer shell for guaranteed durability. This portable gas grill also features stainless steel burners with a porcelain flame disk bowl that delivers even heat distribution and is also easy to clean. What’s more, the gas control valve and spark igniter make heating up your grill simple. Meanwhile, the stainless steel burner is capable of delivering 15,400 BTU per hour for handling all your cooking needs. Finally, the built-in temperature makes monitoring the cooking process convenient.
The Masterbuilt Black is backed with a limited warranty.
After reviewing all 10 products based on the five parameters, we reveal our verdict for the best portable gas grill for tailgates: The Weber Q1200. This high-performance grill packs plenty of heat (8500 BTU per hour) and a sizable cooking surface (189 square inches) for treating the whole crew. What’s more, this grill features Weber’s signature porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates to deliver even heat and are easy to clean. Meanwhile, the aluminum lid and body are ultra-durable, and the easy-start electronic ignition means that you can get started cooking fast.
Featured Image via Pixabay