5 Layer Buffalo Chicken Dip are one of the tried-and-true classics of game day, you can’t go wrong with a 5-layer dip for any party. Buffalo chicken dip is a favorite go-to tailgating recipe that’s delicious, decadent, and deceptively simple. It’s also versatile, working well with chips, pretzels, and even veggie dippers.
Classic Homemade 5 Layer Buffalo Chicken Dip
While this recipe is a little labor-intensive, the payoff is worth it. This dip from myrecipes.com yields a truly divine dip that blends a variety of unique flavors into one rich dish. Here are the ingredients how to cook Classic Homemade 5 layer Buffalo Chicken Dip.
- Ten Texas Toast slices with crusts removed, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Three medium chopped celery roots
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Two tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- One tablespoon white sugar
- Two teaspoons celery salt
- One teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds chicken breast tenders
- Two tablespoons canola oil
- Two teaspoons salt
- One teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Buffalo wing sauce
- 3/4 cups whole buttermilk
- Two medium chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Two tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Two teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- One teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- Buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 cup celery leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
The Breadcrumb Layer: Chop up toast in a food processor or by hand and spread onto a baking sheet. Bake at 300°F until golden brown, about ten minutes, and then set aside.
The Celery Root Layer: Steam celery root pieces about 20 minutes, or until tender. Process with whole milk, Champagne vinegar, sugar, celery salt, and one teaspoon of salt until smooth then set aside.
The Buffalo Chicken Layer: Toss chicken tenders, canola oil, two teaspoons of salt, and one teaspoon of pepper together on a grill pan preheated to 450°F. Cool, chop into 1-inch pieces, then toss with Buffalo wing sauce and set aside.
The Carrot Ranch Dressing: Prepare the dressing by processing buttermilk and carrots until smooth. Then stir in sour cream, mayo, fresh dill, apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon of salt, a quarter teaspoon of black pepper, and onion powder.
Once all the components are prepared, you can assemble the dip. First, spread the celery root mixture over the bottom of an ovenproof baking dish. Spread the buffalo chicken mix over the celery root, then bake at 300°F for about 20 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly and then sprinkle breadcrumbs over the chicken. Top the mix with blue cheese and chopped celery. Finally, drizzle on the carrot ranch dressing and garnish with celery leaves and scallions.
Quick and easy 5 Layer Buffalo Chicken Dip
If you’re not quite ready to tackle the more complicated recipes, here’s a simple dip from tasteofhome.com with just five main ingredients. The dish is wildly delicious and a breeze to whip up, even with minimal prep time.
- One 8-ounce package of softened cream cheese
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 cup ranch or blue cheese salad dressing
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Spread cream cheese in an even layer over the bottom of an ungreased 1-quart baking dish. Layer the cooked chicken on top of the cheese, then drizzle on a layer of Buffalo Wing sauce. Next, add ranch or blue cheese dressing.
- Top the dish with a layer of Colby-Monterey Jack cheese. Cook the entire assembly in an oven at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted. For gooey cheese, cover with aluminum foil. For a crunchy cheese crust, leave the dish uncovered. Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Southern-Style 5 Layer Buffalo Dip
There are plenty of different takes on traditional 5 layer dips, but this one takes things South of the border. For a Tex-Mex twist, try this dish courtesy of damndelicious.net. Bold spices and rich flavors are balanced out with cool cream cheese and creamy refried beans.
- One tablespoon olive oil
- One boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cayenne pepper sauce such as Frank’s® RedHot®
- One 16-ounce can of black bean refried beans
- 4 ounces cubed cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Two tablespoons sour cream
- One sliced avocado
- Two tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high and bring up to temperature before adding the chicken. Cook thoroughly, about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Allow to cool, season with cayenne pepper sauce, and set aside.
- Reheat refried beans on the stovetop or in the microwave. Spread in an even layer of the bottom of a greased 8X8 baking dish. Add a layer of cream cheese over the top, then evenly spread the chicken out. Top with a layer of shredded cheese.
- Cook at 400°F for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until the mixture begins to bubble. Remove and top with a layer of sour cream. Garnish with avocado and cilantro, then serve immediately.
Impress Your Guests with 5 Layer Buffalo Chicken Dip
As far as tailgating recipes go, it’s hard to go wrong with 5 layer Buffalo chicken dip. There are endless ways that you can modify and spruce up recipes to suit your tastes, from the mild and creamy to the sharp and spicy. The next time that game day rolls around keep your party guests coming back for seconds and thirds by adding a 5 layer dip to your appetizer menu.