10 Martini Recipes That Shake Up Any Tailgate Party5 Pina Colada Recipes That Beach Up Any Tailgate
There’s nothing like sitting outside with a great company enjoying an awesome tailgate.
You can always count on a lot of food, most of the time the weather is beautiful, and the temperature is just right.
The only thing that would make this experience perfect, is if the game were held on a beach.
What’s better than heat, friends, food and drinks, and your toes in the sand?
Since the game typically can’t be held on a beach, you can still bring the flavor of the beach to your party with these five amazing Pina Colada recipes ranging from the classic Pina Colada drink to Pina Colada flavored food.
The Classic Pina Colada
Might as well grab an entire pineapple while you’re at it.
When it comes to the thought of the classic Pina Colada, we think of pineapples and rum.
What I like most about this recipe from bonappetit.com, is that it uses a lot of fresh pineapples and real coconut milk, as opposed to a few other recipes that require evaporated milk. Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ fresh pineapple, peeled, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 6 ounces sweetened cream of coconut
- 2 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 8 ounces white rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces dark rum
- Maraschino cherries and lime wedges (for serving)
- A blender
How to make it:
1. Take the pineapple pieces in a resealable plastic bag, making sure they’re lying flat. Freeze until solid should take up to 3 hours.
2. Puree the pineapple, cream of coconut, coconut milk, white rum, lime juice and 3 cups of ice until smooth.
3. Take the blender mixture and place it in the freezer and free for 25-35 minutes, until the mixture is thickened.
4. Once ready, blend the mixture again until it’s a perfection of frozen Pina Colada goodness. Top it off with a cherry and a lime slice and enjoy.
Keep the tropical theme going and pair this classic drink with a juicy hamburger (or veggie burger) and place a nice sized pineapple between the lettuce and tomatoes
Pina Colada with Coconut Flakes
What makes it different? It consists of real coconut flakes.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this amazing cocktail:
- 2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 ½cups ice cubes
- ¾ cup gold rum
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons light agave nectar
- 8 fresh pineapple slices
- A blender
- A sieve
- Baking sheets
- Medium saucepan
How to make it:
1. In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut and evaporated milk. Cook mixture until it bubbles around the edges (DO NOT BOIL). This should take about 7 minutes. Once the bubbles are around the edges, remove from the heat, cover, and chill between 4 hours to overnight.
2. Take a baking sheet and place the pineapples in a single layer and freeze for an hour or until firm.
3. Once the coconut mixture is ready, strain it through a sieve over a medium-sized bowl. Make sure to press the coconut with the back of a spoon to remove any excess milk. Throw away the solids.
4. Finally in a blender, combine the pineapple, ice cubes, rum, juice and agave nectar, process until smooth. Add milk mixture and continue to process until smooth. Serve with the pineapple slices.
Pairing this sweet treat with a brownie bite or a plate of fruit is perfect! The real coconut flakes in the drink will set off a worldwide of flavors once paired with a dessert.
Pina Colada Jelly Shots
What’s even better than having an amazing Pina Colada in your hand at a tailgate?
Having one the size of a shot. They’re small, cute, and extremely convenient.
Not to mention they pack a nice little punch of rum. Thanks to rachelraymag.com for providing this fun and delicious recipe for the Pina Colada jelly shots, here’s what you’ll need:
- ⅓ cup of pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup cream of coconut
- 2 envelopes (¼ ounces each) gelatin
- ⅔ cup of rum (white or coconut flavored)
- 1(4×8 inch) loaf pan
- Medium sized saucepan
How to make it:
1. Take the pineapple juice, cream of coconut and gelatin and heat it in a saucepan until the gelatin is dissolved.
2. Next, add in the ⅔ cup of rum
3. Take the entire mixture and pour it onto a 4×8 inch long pan and chill for at least 4 hours or until firm.
4. Once firm, cut it into pieces roughly around 24 pieces
5. Garnish with shredded coconut
Another great way to make this recipe a little more festive is to use gelatin molding.
Instead of pouring the mixture into the loaf pan, you can pour it into the gelatin molds.
Find a mold of your favorite sport to keep the tailgate theme going! Or even a mold of other fruits and toss a little-powdered sugar on top of them.
Pina Colada Chicken Skewers
Before you tilt your head with the mention of Pina Colada and chicken mixed together, just give it a shot. The flavors match in a perfect blend of sweet and savory.
The spicy mix-in of the peppers gives it an extra kick of flavor.
Whether you choose to keep the seasoning of the chicken the same or spice it up with a little hint of Cajun seasoning, this skewer recipe from thecrumbykitchen.com will make you the talk of the entire tailgate.
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 1/4 cup of dark rum
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 whole lime, for zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons green pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 oz chicken thighs, cut it into 1-inch portion
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon of finely grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole can milk of coconut
- 2 cups pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- Larger zipper plastic bag
- Colander set
- Small sized saucepan
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Wooden skewers
How to make it:
1. First of all ake the chunks of chicken and place them into the large zipper plastic bag with the coconut milk, rum, lime juice & zest, garlic, pepper sauce, ginger, paprika, pepper, and salt. Also, make sure all the air is removed from the bag before zipping it shut and placing it in the refrigerator to marinate. The marinade should be between 4 hours to overnight. Make sure to rub the chicken once in the bag so the marinade can be evenly distributed.
2. Preheat the grill on high. Take a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper.
3. Take the contents of the bag and pour it into a colander set over a bowl. Then take the chicken and pineapples, tomatoes and whatever other vegetables you choose and place them on the skewers. Once done, place the skewers onto the baking sheet.
4. Cook skewers on the grill cook until the chicken is done, takes about 10-15 minutes. Make sure to turn the skewers at least 2-3 times.
5. Take the remaining marinade and pour it into a small saucepan with water, coconut, and cornstarch. Once in the pan, bring mixture to a low boil and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until it’s thickened. Once cooled down, pour mixture over the skewers.
Pina Colada BBQ Sauce
If the classic drink wasn’t enough, the true to taste flaky drink didn’t hit the spot, maybe the jelly shots were cool but now you’re hungry?
So, passing by the chicken skewers, you’re now looking for something to make your own dish pop a little bit more. This recipe for a Pina Colada BBQ sauce is great for pork, chicken, steak and whatever else you love to eat BBQ sauce with.
Thanks to pineappleandcoconut.com, this recipe will make your meat at your next tailgate one that your friends can’t get enough of. Here’s what you’ll need.
- 3-4 lbs. pork ribs
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup organic ketchup
- 1 cup coconut water
- ½ cup white or silver rum
- 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon shoyu or tamari
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
How to make it:
1. First of all, take the ribs and cut them into 4 sections. Place them into a crockpot lining them up vertically.
2. In the large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the BBQ sauce. Stir well. Take the marinade and pour it over the ribs that are inside the crockpot.
3. Set the crockpot on for high for two high for 2 hours. Then after that, set it on low for another 4-6 hours. Once an hour, make sure to flip the ribs so the tops are on the bottom.
4. Once done, take immediately to the grill for another 3-4 minutes a side, until the sauce caramelized.
5. Finally, you’re all done! Serve it hot!
Party Your Way Away with a Pina Colada
Hence, a tailgate party with awesome food and drinks is a great way to spend time with family and friends. Give any one of the above pina colada recipes a try to bring the beach to your tailgate fun!