Tailgate season is here! Are you ready to turn up the grill and cook up some tasty grub? With the right lightweight, compact and portable propane grill, you can be as passionate about your pre-game cooking as you can about cheering on your favorite team.
In the following guide, we tell you how 10 portable propane grills can help you cook delicious summer feasts fast and with minimal clean-up, all the while elevating your tailgate parties to the next level. At the end, we’ll even reveal to you our favorite portable propane grill for our own tailgating extravaganzas.
FAQs | Portable Propane Grills
What Is a Portable Propane Grill?
A portable propane grill is a freestanding or tabletop unit (usually with a grate for resting food items on) that you use to cook foods conveniently outdoors (sometimes far away from the backyard.) It is so-named because it relies on propane as its fuel/heat source.
What Does a Portable Propane Grill Do and How Does It Work?
Outdoor grill masters use portable propane grills for cooking their specialties outdoors, such as in a parking lot for a tailgating party for fans of similar allegiance before the big game. Usually, a portable propane grill features a compact, lightweight design that makes it conducive to transporting it around and easy to set up. With the use of a connected propane bottle for its source of heat, the grill also features an easy-to-clean grate and instant ignition system (because time on the clock counts even in cooking!)
Where Can You Buy a Portable Propane Grill?
You can buy a portable propane grill at your local home improvement store or online at Amazon.com. For your convenience, all the products we reviewed here that made our top 10 list are available for purchase on Amazon.com and we’ve included direct product links within each review summary.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on their features, benefits, drawbacks, prices, availability, warranties and more. Mainly, we focused on each grill’s functionality, its cooking surface capacity, its heat distribution, ease of use, ease of cleaning, compactness, portability, storage and durability.
Overall Price Range of Portable Propane Grills
The best portable propane grills, the ones we’ve reviewed and placed on our top 10 list here, range in price from around $ on up to $$$. Naturally, the higher-priced grills feature more BTU per hour, offer larger cooking surfaces, feature additional warming plates and temperature controls, and/or were built with materials that ensure they will last through good seasons and bad.
What We Reviewed
- Portable grill ideal for tailgaters, fishing trips, or small backyard BBQs
- 8,000 BTU burner control system cooks quickly and evenly
- PerfectFlow propane pressure control system provides consistent output
- Matchless lighting with easy-to-use InstaStart ignition; dishwasher-safe components
- Legs detach and fit inside grill for easy transport; includes lid
The Coleman 9940-A55 Roadtrip Party Grill features an 8,000 BTU burner control system designed for an even heat distribution. It’s ideal for any tailgate parties or other small get-togethers. This portable propane grill also features Coleman’s PerfectFlow propane pressure control system that works hard to deliver a consistent heat output.
This grill also comes equipped with a matchless lighting system supported by an easy-to-use Insta-Start ignition function for quick and simple operation. And, its legs are detachable, so you can transport and stow it easily.
The Coleman 9940-A55 Roadtrip Party Grill comes with a limited warranty.
- Total cooking area = 280 Square Inches
- Stainless steel burner
- 12,000 BTU-per-hour input main burner
- Two folding work tables. Primary cooking area (centimeters)- 54 x 39. Warming rack area...
- Dimensions - Lid closed and tables out: 15.5" H x 51.4" W x 19.5" D. Grill weighs 44...
The Weber 54060001 2200 Liquid Propane Grill features one, stainless-steel burner to deliver 12,000 BTU per hour in a 280-square-inch total cooking area. This signature Weber product features porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates you’ll find easy to clean. And, this grill’s lid and body are made of aluminum, so the unit is lightweight and has long-lasting durability. Finally, the easy-start electronic ignition and infinite control burner valve allow you to control cooking temperatures seamlessly.
Weber backs its product with a limited warranty.
- Portable gas grill with 145-square-inch grilling area and foldaway legs
- Cooks 8 burgers, 8 steaks, 6 to 10 chicken breasts, or 4 pounds of fish
- Powerful 5,500 BTU stainless-steel burner and even-heating porcelain-enameled grate
- Aluminum legs and stabilizing feet set up in seconds; integrated lid lock keeps lid secure
- Pronounced briefcase-style carrying handle; weighs 13.5 pounds
The Cuisinart CGG-180T Petit Gourmet Portable Gas Grill features a 145-square-inch cooking area and foldaway legs designed for easy transport and storage. Despite its compact design, this portable propane grill can handle cooking eight burgers, six to ten chicken breasts or eight steaks at the same time.
Featuring a powerful 5,500 BTU stainless-steel burner and porcelain-enameled grate, this grill promises that foods won’t stick so cleaning is a breeze. What’s more, this grill’s aluminum legs and stabilizing feet make for an easy, quick set up. Cuisinart’s integrated lid lock secures the lid, while the briefcase-style handle makes this grill even more convenient to carry to your outdoors kitchen away from home.
This grill comes with a limited warranty.
The Nexgrill Industires Inc. 820-0033 Portable Table Grill is the perfect grill for tailgating, picnics and large gatherings. Featuring two, stainless-steel, independently adjustable main burners, this portable propane grill has a 184-square-inch cooking area. It features stainless-steel, easy-to-clean cooking grids and it comes through on its promise to distribute heat evenly.
In addition, this grill comes equipped with a push-and-turn ignition system for simple, fast operation without the use of lighters and matches. Meanwhile, the lockable lid and foldable legs make for easy storing and transporting of this grill. All its stainless-steel components translate it to superior durability.
This Nexgrill Industries Inc. product is covered by a limited warranty.
- 146 Square inch Dishwasher safe, enameled Steel cooking grate
- Push button ignition system
- 8,000 BTU burner
- 3 Year Warranty
- Works with 1 pound propane canisters
The Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster Portable Gas Grill features a 146-square-inch cooking area, covered by an enameled steel cooking grate that is dishwasher safe. Users of this portable propane grill love its push-button, matchless ignition system that leads to quick heating when there’s no time to spare. Meanwhile, the 8,000 BTU burner lets you cook high volumes of food efficiently. Weighing in at just 10 pounds, this grill’s compact design and foldable legs mean you can move it easily or stow it quickly.
This grill is covered by a 3-year limited warranty from Cuisinart.
- Portable propane grill ideal for tailgating, picnicking, and camping
- Delivers 20,000 BTUs of heat across 285 square inches of grilling surface
- Swaptop interchangeable cooktops allow you to switch grill grates out for griddle and...
- Instastart button ignites grill without the need for a match or lighter
- Collapsible design is easy to transport and fits into most car trunks
If you’ve got a big, hungry, tailgating crowd to cook for, then you’ll love the Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill and its two, independently adjustable burners that heat separate zones in its 285-square-inch cooking surface. That’s the largest cooking surface among the 10 grills we present to you on this list!
Plus, this powerful grill can deliver up to 20,000 BTUs of heat and features “Swaptop” interchangeable cooktops, so you can switch between grill grates and griddle or stove grates. It should come as no surprise that is has an Insta-Start button for quick, simple operation. And, of course, it has a collapsible design that makes it easy to transport and stow away when not in use. We think you’ll use it plenty, though, so that’s why it’s great that it can be folded and carried with a large handle.
The Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill comes with a limited warranty.
- PORTABLE - The perfect tailgater grill and griddle for any event. Easy portable setup,...
- VERSATILE - enjoy several different setup combinations. Utilize the grill box and griddle...
- DURABLE - Built to last this Blackstone grill includes a heavy-duty grill box with vent,...
- TWO BURNERS - two independently controlled burners (1 stainless steel H tube burner and...
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - if you are not completely satisfied at any point please feel free...
The Blackstone Dash Portable Grill/Griddle features a 240-square-inch cooking area with dual heating spaces. It consists of a flat griddle and a ridged grill powered by a 7,000 BTU burner for optimal performance and heating. This portable propane grill also features a compact design and folding legs that let you store and transport it with no problem.
Plus, this Blackstone Dash product is designed for easy setting up with telescoping legs that extend easily for added stability. Also, this grill has a grease management system designed so that cleanups take just minutes.
Blackstone backs this grill with a limited warranty.
- 205 sq. in. primary stainless steel cooking area 105 sq. in. chrome-plated warming rack
- 10,000 BTU stainless steel "U" burner
- Fold-able stainless steel legs; Uses 16oz. disposable cylinder
- Stainless steel drip tray; Temperature gauge
- Assembled Size: 19 L x 32 W x 33.5 H inches
The Smoke Hollow 205 Stainless-Steel Gas Grill yields a 205-square-inch, stainless-steel cooking area and a 105-square-inch, chrome-plated warming rack area. This high-performance portable propane grill also features a 10,000 stainless steel “U” burner for powerful heat and efficient cooking. Additionally, it comes with foldable, stainless-steel legs for easy transport and storage. And, a stainless-steel drip tray means cleanup is hassle-free and takes just minutes.
Purchase of this Smoke Hollow product comes with a limited warranty.
- Portable gas grill designed for backyard use, camping, tailgating, and more
- 240-square-inch porcelain-enamel cast-iron grill grate offers plenty of grilling space
- Single 15,000 BTU burner with TwistStart electric ignition and precision temperature gauge
- Pair of removable 10-by-10-inch side tables; heat-resistant stainless-steel lid handle
- Measures 26 x 18 x 19 inches in transport mode; weighs less than 40 pounds
The Cuisinart CGG-220 Everyday Portable Gas Grill features a spacious, 240-square-inch, porcelain-enameled, cast-iron, grill-grate cooking surface suitable for tailgate parties of any size. It also has a single 15,000 BTU burner and a “TwistStart” electric ignition function for powerful heat distribution and a fast start so you can deliver to your hungry masses.
In addition, this grill features a precision temperature gauge that lets you effortlessly monitor the progress of your dishes-in-progress. Finally, the Cuisinart engineers paid attention to detail as they included a pair of removable 10-inch by 10-inch side tables and a heat-resistant, stainless-steel lid handle that all help this grill to be convenient for use and portability.
Cuisinart backs this grill with a limited warranty.
- Wind Block panels help shield burners from wind or fold down for use as side tables
- Instastart ignition for push-button, matchless lighting
- PerfectFlow technology provides consistent performance, even in extreme conditions
- PerfectHeat technology for more efficient cooking with less fuel
- 11,000 total BTUs of cooking power
The Coleman PerfectFlow Insta-Start Propane Grill features a pressure-control system and a 11,000 BTU tube burner for powerful heat output. This compact, portable propane grill also features a “WindBlock” system that shields the burner, so you get optimal heat delivery to your food even in the wildest weather.
It employs a matchless lighting system that makes operation simple and fast. And, it features a removable, porcelain-coated grill grate designed for hassle-free cleanup. Finally, the grease management system and removable grease catching tray offer enhanced convenience.
The Coleman PerfectFlow Insta-Start Propane Grill is backed by a limited warranty.
After reviewing all 10 products, we feel the best portable propane grill for tailgating is the Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill. This high-performance grill delivers 20,000 BTU for heating a huge 285 square-inch cooking surface. It is ideal for tailgate gatherings of just about any size.
This grill also is highly versatile, as it comes equipped with “Swaptop” interchangeable cooktops for all your grilling needs. This grill became our favorite because it is super easy to use, thanks to its built-in ignition system and two independently adjustable burners, and it’s highly compact with its collapsible design.
Featured Image via Pexels