The market for sporting goods in the United States is a multi-billion-dollar industry. Sales of sporting goods, including sports merchandise and athletic footwear in the United States alone, amounts to over 46 billion dollars a year. Athleisure clothes, designed to be comfortable and casual for all people whether they are working out or relaxing, are fashionable right now.
If you are searching for sports apparel, a quick Google search for “sports apparel near me” will produce hundreds of results, giving you plenty of options for finding exactly what you are looking for. Here’s a look at several of the top sports brands, favorite sports apparel stores, and online apparel stores.
Top Sports Apparel Brands
While there are easily over thirty top sports apparel brands, here is a look at the top ten.
Champion Sportswear, a subsidiary of HanesBrands, Inc., is a trendy brand for sportswear and is a well-known brand in the sportswear world. Champion was the first company to screen print player numbers and names onto sports jerseys. Most children who have played sports have worn the Champion brands. Their apparel is affordable, readily available, and well-made. If you are looking for jerseys, nylon mesh uniforms, or clothing to support your favorite teams, Champion is a good brand.
Nike is one of the most well-known brands for sports apparel. When people think of famous sportswear, there’s a great chance Nike will be top on the list. If you prefer the Nike brand, one of its biggest pros is that you can find Nike clothes and shoes almost anywhere. The brand is known for its consistently high quality. Also, many athletes seek out Nike’s Dri-Fit clothing because of its dependability.
With a name that stands for “All Day I Dream About Sports,” Adidas is a well-known brand that is a rival to Nike. Its athletic gear is dependable and affordable. For people who prefer to wear Adidas, finding the brand is easy. Like Nike, Adidas advertises on their apparel which is preferred by some people and not appreciated by others.
Reebok got its name from the South African antelope and is well-known in the athletic wear industry. Reebok was founded in 1890 and has been a top sports apparel brand for a long time. For many years, Reebok was very affordable, and while it isn’t wholly unaffordable now, the brand has grown enough that it has become a more high-end apparel brand. For reliable and comfortable sportswear, Reebok is a favorite.
One of the most well-known and loved brands in the gym world is Under Armour. From compression shorts to high-quality base-layers, Under Armour has a wide variety of sportswear for every sport, and for people of every age.
Puma is another popular sports apparel brand, known for making both gym and regular wear clothes with style. While they don’t make technical gear, their apparel is some of the best in the sports apparel world.
Gap was initially a designer clothing store, but in recent years, it has changed to market to the athleisure brand. It has a specific line of workout clothes targeted for men and women. Gap prices are affordable, and the designs fit the athleisure style by not boldly shouting that you are going to the gym, in case you just like sportswear for comfort.
EYSOM is a hip and new LA-based clothing brand whose acronym stands for “exercise your state of mind.” EYESOM is known for its high-quality brand that really does fit well. However, their biggest downfall is that they are very expensive and only affordable for people with a lot of money to spend on clothes.
Like EYESOM, Ten Thousand is a newer athletic brand that caters to men. The clothing is designed with male athletes in mind, and the brand is known for its excellent fit and quality. Ten Thousand is affordable and is quickly becoming a favorite brand for athletic menswear.
Rhone is another newish brand that is both popular and unique. Rhone uses silver in their fabric because of its natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. For people who want gym clothes that stay nice for a long time, Rhone is a top brand.
They offer a wide range of clothes that are high quality, stay nice for a long time, and are well-loved because they fit well.
Popular Sports Apparel Stores
Because selling products for sports are such a big industry, there are many sports apparel stores. While you can find sports apparel at many of the big-name stores like Kohls, JC Penney’s, Target, or Wal-Mart, there are several specialty stores that focus all of their product on sporting goods. Here are five of the most popular sporting apparel stores.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods was built in 1948 and has a great startup story involving the founder, Dick Stack, starting the business with only 300 dollars, after having his idea rejected by a business owner. It is now a chain, with over 675 stores, and is known for being a leading sporting goods retailer. Dick’s Sporting Goods offers high-quality and authentic apparel, footwear, sports equipment, and accessories.
- Academy Sports is another specialty sporting goods store with over 240 locations. They offer fishing, hunting, and camping equipment, along with patio sets and sports and recreation products and apparel. Their goal is to provide sporting goods at low prices.
- Hibbett Sports is a fast-growing retailer with over 1,000 stores located in 34 different states. They are a premium athletic retailer, which means they have a competitive advantage on all of the sports apparel they sell. They offer custom sports apparel and game-day ready selections of sports equipment. If you are looking for a place to find clothing for your favorite team, Hibbett Sports offers NCAA, MLB, NFL, and NBA licensed gear.
- Finish Line is a sports apparel store that offers a wide range of clothing and accessories. It is well known for its massive line of college sports apparel. It is the leading athletic retailer, offering apparel, footwear, and accessories. It has over 700 stores that are located in 47 states online. It is also a favorite online store for people who are looking for sports apparel that is not provided in their local stores.
Apparel Stores Online
Whether you just like to shop online, or you live in an area that doesn’t support your favorite teams, online shopping is a great way to find what you are looking for. If you are looking for college sports apparel, here are three of the most popular online stores.
Fans Edge is an online store that offers sports apparel for almost all college and professional sports. Their NCAA college apparel section offers the largest selection of apparel to over 460 different college sports teams.
Fanatics is another online sports apparel website, known because it is an official partner of the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and Nascar. It also offers a large variety of college sports apparel, with the ability to shop by a team.
A branch off of fanatics.com, CBS Sports is also an online internet retailer. The site has sportswear for over 500 NCAA teams. Here are some of the many different apparel and accessory items offered on CBS Sports:
- T-Shirts, Sweatshirts/Sweatpants, Hoodies, Dresses, and Jerseys,
- Baby clothes,
- iPhone covers.
- Nike College Sideline Gear,
- College Backpacks and Blankets.
- Women, kids, big and tall, clothing options, and
- College car accessories and autographed memorabilia.
Whether you are shopping for yourself or another sports fan in your life, there are many ways to find exactly what you are looking for. If you are shopping for sportswear for your own workouts or even just enjoy wearing comfortable workout clothes, many brands have designed clothing lines to fit your needs.
Sports are a significant pastime in the United States, and all over the world, and avid fans exist for every sport you can think of.
Knowing that sports apparel is a multi-billion-dollar industry, many big-name brands cater to people’s desires to wear comfortable workout gear and clothing from their favorite team. If you want to purchase sportswear from online stores, or brick and mortar buildings, there is no shortage of places to go. If you live in or near a mid-sized city, you will likely find at least one sports apparel store, and if you are in small towns, local Wal-Marts, Targets, and K-Marts are known for carrying a lot of local sports accessories and clothing items. But if you can’t find what you are looking for in a store, you will most likely be able to visit an online sports store to find what you need.
Between the continued passion for sports and the current athleisure fashion fad, finding comfortable and durable clothes that meet your needs is typically not difficult. Sports apparel offers affordable ways for you to dress comfortably and wear your favorite team to show support.